4th of July Hot Dogs
A simple and fun way to spruce up your hot dogs!
- 1 can refrigerated breadstick dough
- 16 hot dogs
- 16 thick slices of Colby cheese
- 16 skewers
- Take your skewers and stick them all the way through your hot dogs leaving about an inch and a half exposed at the top of each hot dog.
- Wrap a piece of the breadstick dough around the hot dog.
- Place the wrapped hot dogs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake according to the package directions for the dough.
- While the hot dogs are cooking, cut stars out of your cheese slices with a knife or star shaped cookie cutter.
- After your hot dogs have cooled 2-3 minutes, stick the star onto the skewer at the top.
These patriotic desserts are simple to make and more fun to eat!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- Two 10 oz. bags of marshmallows
- 10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup blue candy melts
- 1/2 cup red candy melts
- 6 jumbo marshmallows
- 1 black licorice wheel
- White cake frosting with star tip
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
Directions for Rice Krispies:
- Spray a 9" x 9" pan with a non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows to the butter, stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cereal and salt (optional) until well coated.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly.
- Cool for 30 minutes and cut into 6 large bars.
Directions for decorating:
- Line 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper and set aside.
- Melt the blue candy melts in a double boiler or in 15 second increments in the microwave, stirring occasionally.
- Dip the bottom of each Rice Krispies bar into the melted blue candy. Set on one cookie sheet to harden.
- Melt the red candy melts, stirring occasionally.
- Roll each jumbo marshmallow in the melted red candy, covering each one entirely. Place on the other cookie sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes to speed the hardening process. Set aside the remaining red candy melts for later.
- Cut 6 two inch pieces from the black licorice wheel.
- After 10 minutes, remove the marshmallows from the refrigerator and poke a hole into the top of each marshmallow.
- Insert the licorice pieces into the tops of the marshmallows to resemble the fuse.
- Reheat the leftover red candy melts. Dip the bottom of each marshmallow into the red candy melts and place on top of the Rice Krispies bars, squared in the middle.
- Use the white cake frosting and sprinkles to decorate.